If you have the YouTube TV app on Roku, you might come across the service not working for different reasons. It includes the YouTube TV app failing to load, video buffering, server issues, etc. However, all of them are resolvable, and YouTube TV not working can be fixed easily by the user themself upon troubleshooting. With this, Roku users will get back access to its 85+ channels like ABC, BBC America, Animal Planet, Adult Swim, etc.
YouTube TV Not Working on Roku: Causes
The YouTube TV app may not work due to many reasons like
- Poor internet connection
- Expired subscription
- Corrupted cache on Roku
- Server down
How to Fix YouTube TV Not Working on Roku
If the YouTube TV app fails to work on your Roku device, it may be for the following reasons. To fix it by yourself, proceed with the troubleshooting steps mentioned below.
- The YouTube TV app not loading the contents
- YouTube TV Not Functioning on Roku
- YouTube TV Not Opening on Roku
- Corrupted cache on the Roku device
The YouTube TV App Not Loading the Contents
If the YouTube TV app on your device fails to load the content or not playing the video, then you are facing a network issue or server-down problem. It can be fixed easily by yourself by the steps mentioned below.
- Unstable internet connection
- Server down
You can speed up the internet connection by power cycling the WiFi router.
1. Power Cycle the WiFi Router
(1) Remove the power cable of the WiFi router from the power outlet.
(2) Wait for 5-10 minutes.
(3) Now, connect the power cable of the WiFi router to the power outlet and turn on the switch.
(4) Turn on the WiFi router and connect your Roku to the WiFi.
(5) The unstable internet problem might have been solved now.
(6) Launch the YouTube TV app and start streaming your favorite content.
2. YouTube TV Server Down
YouTube TV server being down is one of the major problems for the service not working. Usually, the server down problem occurs due to the over usage of the app. When the server faces an overload of traffic or any technical issues, as an output, you will get the server-down problem.
You can check the status of the YouTube TV server from third-party websites like Downdector. The server-down issue will be cleared within a few hours by the technical team of the application. You can get the official update from the authorized social media account of YouTube TV.
YouTube TV Not Functioning on Roku
The YourTube TV application will not function on your Roku device if the device runs on a too-old version of the software.
- Un-updated application
- Outdated version of the Roku software
If your Roku device is running under an outdated version, you shall update the Roku device and the YouTube TV app to fix the issue.
1. Update Roku Device
By updating the Roku device, you can fix the bugs and errors from the last software update and enjoy the new features added to the update.
(1) Turn on your Roku device and connect your Roku to the WiFi.
(2) Navigate to the home screen and select the Settings option.
(3) Click the System Update option and tap Check Now to scan for the update.
(4) If your device is available for update, click the Update Now button to use the latest version on your Roku device.
(5) Once you have updated the Roku device, you can start using YouTube TV without any issues.
2. Update the YouTube TV App on Roku
(1) Connect your Roku to the WiFi and navigate to the home screen.
(2) Go to the Apps sections and highlight the YouTube TV app.
(3) Fetch the Roku remote and press the Asterisk button (*).
(4) Select the option Check for updates from the popup menu.
(5) Now, it will start to scan for the available update.
(6) If the application is available for update, it will start to update automatically.
(7) After completing the update, launch the app and start using it.
YouTube TV Not Opening on Roku
If the YouTube TV app is not opening on Roku, it may occur due to any temporary errors.
- Expired subscription
- Temporary errors
You can fix the temporary errors by updating the application, removing the account, activating the subscription, or by uninstall and reinstalling the app.
1. Check Your Subscription Package
As mentioned above, YouTube TV is a subscription-based streaming service. So, you can access its content only with a valid subscription plan. If you are trying to stream the content without an active subscription, you will be prompted to subscribe to the service, or you will receive the black screen error. You can check or resubscribe to YouTube TV from the official website or with YouTube TV.
2. Remove Your Account from YouTube TV
You can remove and add your account to fix any temporary errors.
(1) Launch the YouTube TV app on your Roku device.
(2) Click the Settings or Profile button displayed on the app.
(3) Select the Logout or Sign out button to remove your YouTube TV account from the Roku device.
(4) Now, close the YouTube TV app and relaunch it again.
(5) Select the Sign in button and sign in to your account.
(6) Now, there is a chance to fix the problem of YouTube TV not working on Roku.
3. Uninstall and Reinstall the YouTube TV App on Roku
(1) Turn on your Roku device and navigate to the Apps section.
(2) Select and highlight the YouTube TV app.
(3) Press the Asterisk button (*) on your Roku remote.
(4) Click the option Remove Channel from the popup menu to uninstall the YouTube TV app on Roku.
(5) Navigate to the home screen and select the Streaming Channels option.
(6) Scroll down and select the Search Channels option.
(7) Type YouTube TV using the on-screen keyboard and select the app from the list of apps.
(8) Click the +Add Channel option to install the app on your device.
(9) After downloading, click the Go to Channel button to launch the app on your device.
(10) Now, the YouTube TV not working problem gets resolved on Roku. Start streaming your favorite content.
Corrupted Cache on the Roku Device
Unfortunately, if your Roku device stores the corrupted cache, it will not allow the application to run properly. You can clear the cache data on the Roku device to fix this problem.
- Over usage of the app
You can clear the corrupted cache data on your Roku device by restarting, resettings, and clearing the cache data.
1. Restarting the Roku Device
(1) Navigate to the Settings of the Roku and select the System option.
(2) Locate and select the System Restart option.
(3) Click the Restart button to restart your Roku device.
(4) Wait for a few minutes until the device gets restarts.
(5) After restarting, launch the YouTube TV app. It will be working now.
2. Factory Reset Roku Device
Factory resetting the Roku will erase all the current data from the Roku device and bring back your Roku device to its original stage.
(1) On your home screen, select the Settings option.
(2) Click the option Advanced System Settings and choose the Factory Reset option.
(3) Enter your Roku pin from the on-screen keyboard.
(4) Now, click the OK button to reset your Roku device.
(5) After resettings, set up the Roku device and download the YouTube TV app.
(6) Launch the app and start streaming your favorites.
3. Clear Cache on Roku
Cache data are temporary files that cannot be deleted completely from any device. You can clear the cache on Roku with your Roku remote by pressing the combination of keys.
(1) Turn on your Roku-connected TV and navigate to the home screen.
(2) Fetch your Roku Remote and press the following button mentioned below with the number of times to clear the cache on Roku.
- Home button (⌂)- 5 times
- Up arrow (↑)- 1 time
- Rewind (<<)- 2 times
- Fast forward (>>)- 2 times
(3) Now, the cache data gets cleared on your Roku device within 1 or 2 minutes.
Frequently Asked Question
You can fix this problem by deleting and adding the YouTube TV app on Roku.