YouTube is an incredibly popular media streaming platform that is loved by users across the globe. It was launched back in 2005 and is available in various countries, and has content from multiple languages. Normally, you are only known to stream the YouTube app on your Android or iOS devices. Now, the YouTube app is available on streaming devices like Roku. So, you can enjoy streaming your favorite YouTube channels on your Roku as well.
Can you Get YouTube on Roku
Yes, you can get YouTube on Roku, and it is available to download from the Channel Store. Also, you can access YouTube for free by signing in with your Google Account.
How Much is YouTube on Roku
Ads will be displayed in between your streaming without a premium subscription. So, if you want to disable the ads, you need to subscribe to YouTube Premium. The following are the subscription plans that come under YouTube Premium.
- Base Plan: $11.99 per month
- Family Plan: $17.99 per month
- Student Plan: $6.99 per month
- Annual YouTube Premium: $119.99 per year
To subscribe to YouTube Premium, visit the official website. Along with the subscription, you will also receive access to YouTube Music.
How to Get YouTube on Roku
1. Press the Home button on your remote to launch the Roku home screen.
2. From the left pane, click on Streaming Channel.
3. Further, click on the Search Channels option on the next menu.
4. Using the on-screen keyboard, search for the YouTube app.
5. When you see YouTube in the search results, select it.
6. On the next screen, click on the Add Channel button to start downloading the app.
7. When the app download is complete, select the OK button.
8. Next, choose the Go to Channel option to launch YouTube.
With the help of your computer or smartphone, you can install YouTube on Roku as follows.
1. Launch any web browser of your choice on your computer.
2. Using the browser, go to the official website of the Roku Channel Store.
3. Click on the Sign In button from the upper right corner of your screen.
4. Enter the Roku account credentials to sign in to your account.
5. Next, click on the search icon of the Channel Store.
6. Search for YouTube and select the same from the search results.
7. From the channel info page, select the Add Channel button.
After that, you need to update your Roku to immediately add YouTube to your channel’s grid.
How to Activate and Watch YouTube on Roku
1. Initially, open the YouTube app on your Roku.
2. Select the Sign In button, and you can see the activation code displayed on your TV screen.
3. Next, visit the activation webpage of YouTube: https://youtube.com/tv/activate on a smartphone or computer.
4. Enter the activation code and click on the Next button.
5. Sign in with your Google Account and activate the YouTube app.
6. You can now go back to the YouTube app and start streaming your favorites.
How to Fix If YouTube is Not Working on Roku
If in case you have any issues streaming on the YouTube app, you can follow the troubleshooting methods mentioned below:
The YouTube App Won’t Open
- If the YouTube app doesn’t open on your device, try restarting the Roku device.
- Uninstall the YouTube app from the device and then re-install it from the Roku Channel Store.
If YouTube is Buffering
- If the YouTube app is buffering, check if the app is working on other devices as well.
- You need to check if the YouTube server is down by any chance with Downdetector.
- Check if your internet is slow and restart your Wi-Fi router by unplugging it from the power source for a few minutes and then connecting it back.
If YouTube Keeps Crashing
- If the YouTube app keeps crashing, you need to uninstall the app and then re-install it back to your device.
- Update Roku from Settings > System > Software Update > Check Now ad clear the errors on your device.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, you don’t always need to be a premium YouTube subscriber to stream your favorites.
You can’t block the YouTube app on your device. However, you can block content from the app using Parental Controls.
Go to your Channels grid and select YouTube. Then, press the Asterisk button on your remote and select the Check for Update option.