Roku is one of the best digital media players. It offers various models like Roku TV, Roku Streaming Stick, and more. To add channels on Roku in all models, you need to access the Roku Channel Store. Just like all other devices, only by updating our device to the latest version can you reduce bugs and experience the latest features available. Normally Roku devices will automatically update to the latest version as long as it is connected to the internet, and it will only notify you when there is a major update available. But sometimes, you need to check for the updates manually to keep your Roku firmware to the latest version.
How to Update Roku
There are two ways to Update Roku. They are:
- Update from Settings
- Update using USB
Update Roku from Settings
1. Turn on your Roku device and press the Home button on your Roku remote.
2. On the Home screen, select Settings and click on System.
3. Select System Update.
4. Click on Check Now, and your Roku device will check for any available updates.
Note: Here, you can see the last time your Roku device got updated and the last time you checked for an Update.
5. If you see a message saying “All software is up to date“, then this means your Roku is using the latest software available. Suppose you see a message saying “Update available” select Update Now.
Note: To update Roku, you need an internet connection. Make sure that your Roku is connected to the internet by going to Settings > Network > Check connection. If you find that your Roku is not connected to the internet, then you need to connect Roku to a Wi-Fi network.
6. Roku will restart automatically once the latest firmware is installed.
Update Roku Using USB
You need an internet connection to update Roku. So, if you don’t have an active internet connection, you can update Roku via USB.
Note: The following procedure is applicable only if you didn’t activate your Roku TV.
On your PC
First, on your PC, follow the steps below to download the Roku TV’s latest firmware package.
1. On your PC, go to a web browser.
2. Visit Roku TV update using USB’s official website.
3. Choose your TV brand from the available brands.
4. Type your Roku Model Number and Serial Number in their respective fields and select Next.
Note: You can find the model number and serial number of your Roku device by going to Settings > System > About.
5. Click on Download Software, and the Update.roku installer file will be downloaded on your PC.
Note: After you download Roku’s latest firmware, stay on the same web page as you will be required to authenticate Roku once you initiate the updating process via USB.
6. Connect a USB drive to your PC and move the Update.roku file to the USB.
On your Roku TV
After downloading the Roku update file, you can follow the steps below to continue with the updating process on Roku via USB.
1. Remove the USB from the PC and connect it to the USB port on your Roku TV.
Note: If you see a message saying “Update file could not be opened. Please try again”, then it means the format of the USB drive is not recognized. To solve this issue, you need to format your USB to the format that is supported by Roku.
2. Press the Home button on your Roku remote and select Settings.
3. Click on System and select System update.
4. Select I can’t connect. Now, Roku will validate the file in the USB and will display a 12-digit code on the TV screen.
Note: If you see a message saying “Contents of the update file are invalid”, then it means your Roku TV is already running the latest version.
On your PC
Again go to step 3 on the web page you have used to download the update file and authenticate the updating process.
1. On your PC, enter the 12-digit code that you see on the Roku screen and click on the Next step.
2. Once the verification is over, you will receive a new 6-digit code on your PC.
Finally, on your Roku TV, type the code in the given section, and your Roku software will begin to be updated. Once the Update is over, the TV will restart, and you can remove the USB from the TV.
How to Format USB
If you see an error message while updating Roku via USB, you can follow the steps below to format the USB drive.
1. Connect the USB to your PC.
2. Launch your Control Panel and click on Administrative Tools.
3. Select Computer Management and click on Disk Management.
4. Right-Click on the drive that corresponds to your USB.
5. Click on Format and select OK.
Note: If the USB you are using is more than 2GB, then select FAT32, and if it is less than 2GB, select FAT16.
How to Update Roku Channels
To update the channels on Roku, use the steps below:
1. On your Roku home screen, press the Right Arrow button on your remote. Then, navigate to the channel that you want to update.
2. Press the Star button on your Roku remote.
3. On the pop-up window that appears on the screen, Select Check for updates from the available options.
4. If there is an update available for that channel, it will automatically update the channel to the latest version.
How to Update Roku Account
If you want to change your Roku account’s Email address and Password, follow the steps below:
1. From any of your devices, visit Roku’s official website.
2. Select Sign in and enter your Roku Email and Password.
3. Click on Submit. Once you log into your Roku account, go to the Account Information section.
4. Tap on the Update button. Now, change your Email and Password to the one you want and click on Save Changes.
5. You have now updated your Roku account’s Email and Password.
How to Solve Roku Update Problems
- Check whether you have connected your Roku to a Wi-Fi network. Because Wi-Fi is essential when trying to update your Roku device.
- Check your internet connection. If your internet connection is slow, restart the router, disconnect devices other than the TV from the Wi-Fi, and keep your Roku device close to the router.
- You can also try to update Roku via USB if you can’t update Roku from Settings.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, Roku checks for updates every single day, and if the Update is available, it will automatically update it. Your Roku also allows you to update manually.
Some of the best channels available on Roku are Netflix, YouTube TV, Hulu, and more.
To check if your Roku device is out of date, go to Roku Settings > System > About.