While connecting to wifi, some users have reported that their Roku won’t connect to the internet and it is common in Roku TV models like Hisense, TCL, Insignia and Roku Express models. . This scenario occurs due to various internal and external factors. However, this issue can be fixed easily with the basic troubleshooting steps.
Why Roku Won’t Connect to the Internet
The following are the reasons why your Roku won’t connect to the internet:
- There may be a loose connection with the ethernet cable connected to your Roku device.
- Some errors on your Roku device may have caused the internet connectivity issues.
- Some of your smart device may be using the same wifi network. In that case, you will be receiving a very low internet bandwidth.
- Your wifi signal may be poor.
Check Your Wifi Router
Check if your internet strength is good by connecting other devices to the internet. If the issue is with your internet strength, you need to restart your wifi router by simply unplugging it from the power source. You can turn it on after 5 to 10 minutes and then try connecting your Roku device to it. To get better internet strength, you can use an ethernet cable.
Place Your Wifi Router Near Roku
The distance between the wifi router and Roku may be reducing the wifi signal. So, try moving your wifi router close to Roku. This will help you increase signal strength. Also, making use of an Ethernet cable to establish the connection will get you better internet strength.
Check the Password
Maybe you might have entered the wrong password to connect to the wifi on Roku. So, ensure that you have entered the correct password. In case you have forgotten your wifi password, reset it and again try connecting your Roku to wifi.
Connect Roku to a Different Wifi Router
Somehow you have come up to process an alternative router, try connecting your Roku with it. If it solves the internet connectivity issues, the problem may be with your old Router. Suppose your internet connectivity issue is not yet solved, the issue is with your Roku. If you found out that the issue is with your Roku, you can follow the next troubleshooting method to fix the issue.
When you restart your Roku device, you can overcome minor bugs in the device that might be causing issues.
1. Initially, open the Roku Settings menu from the home screen.
2. Select the System option on the menu, followed by the System Restart option.
3. Further, select the Restart option and wait for your device to complete restarting.
4. When Roku turns on, you can try connecting your device to the internet.
Check Your Internet Connectivity Status
You may be receiving a weak wifi signal and that’s why your Roku won’t connect the internet. So, try checking your wifi signal with the steps below:
1. Initially, open the Settings menu of Roku from its home screen.
2. From the Settings, choose the Network option.
3. On the About page, you can find information about your internet connection, including type, download, speed, and signal strength.
4. If you are not connected to the internet, you cannot find this information on your screen.
5. If you are connected to the internet, but it is weak, select the Check Connection option from the menu to troubleshoot the issue.
Disable Network Pings
It might be the network pings that are preventing the Roku device from connecting to the internet. You can disable Network ping by pressing the following buttons on your remote as follows:
1. Press the Home button 5 times > Fast Forward button once > Play button once > Rewind button once > Play button once > Fast Forward button once.
2. On the menu that appears select the System Operations Menu option.
3. Select the Network Menu option.
4. Next, choose the Disable Network Pings option.
Contact Roku Customer Support
If you can’t fix the issue with the internet, you might ultimately have to contact Roku Customer Support for help. Their dedicated customer support will be there to help you with fixing the issue.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, you can connect Roku to the internet without a remote.
If you have already connected your Roku to a wifi network, you can connect to a alternative wifi network without a remote. For that, you have to connect your Roku app to TV. Then, you can use the remote interface on the Roku app to connect your Roku device to wifi without a physical remote.