Roku is a popular media player that has thousands of channels like Peacock TV, Netflix, Hulu, and more. To control your Roku device, the Roku remote is essential. But a lot of Roku users have shared that there are issues with their Roku remote. Some of the issues found are Roku remote not controlling volume, Roku remote headphone jack not working, Roku remote down button not working, Roku remote quits working, and a lot of other issues. However, you can easily fix these issues to return back to your entertainment easily.
How to Solve Roku Remote Not Working
Roku remotes are of two types, and they are:
- Roku Simple Remote (IR Remote) – You need to be in a direct line of sight to control your Roku. (If your remote doesn’t have a Microphone button, it is a simple remote)
- Roku Voice Remote – You can point your remote anywhere to control your TV. (If your remote has a Microphone button, it is a Voice remote)
Here, we will give you a detailed explanation of how to solve your Roku remote not working issue.
Troubleshooting Roku Simple Remote Not Working Issue
1. Remove Obstructions: Roku Simple Remote uses IR lights to control your TV. So, you need to make sure that there are no objects blocking the status light on your Roku device.
2. Place Roku in Open Space: Make sure you keep your Roku device in an open space and without any obstructions. Don’t keep your Roku device attached to the back side of your TV or behind a glass cabinet.
Troubleshooting Roku Voice Remote Not Working Issue
The following are the troubleshooting methods you can try to fix the Roku voice remote not working issue.
1. Try Re-Pairing the remote to your Roku device
Try to pair your Roku remote again to fix the not working issue:
- Remove the batteries on your Roku remote.
- Unplug the power cable from the wall outlet and wait for at least 5 seconds and connect the power cable to the outlet.
- When your Roku device displays the Roku home screen, insert the batteries on your remote.
- Then, press and hold the pairing button for about 20 seconds. When you see the green light start flashing, stop flashing, and then start flashing rapidly, release the button, and your remote has reset.
- Next, again press and hold the pairing button for about 5 seconds or until you see the status light begin to flash. Wait for about 30 seconds, and your remote will establish a connection with the Roku device.
2. Recharge your Remote
If the battery on your rechargeable remote is low, it can cause your remote to not work properly. So charge the remote until it starts flashing with solid green light; this means the battery is full. If the battery on your normal remote is low, it can also cause the same problem. So replace the batteries with a new one.
3. Connect HDMI extension cable
If you are using Roku Streaming Stick, then interference from the HDMI connector may cause problems with your Roku remote. So, use an HDMI extension cable and connect it to your TV. Then connect the HDMI connector to the extension cable and check if the problem is solved.
4. Restart your Roku Device
There might be some issues with your Roku device that may have caused the Roku remote not to respond properly. So, try restarting your Roku device to solve the problem.
5. Check Wi-Fi Connectivity
It might be problems with your Wi-Fi connection that cause your Roku remote to not work properly. Try Connecting your Roku device to Wi-Fi and see if the issue is solved.
After trying the above methods and yet your Roku remote is still not working, then the final option for you is to replace your old Roku remote with a new one.
How to Use Roku Mobile App To Control Roku Device
If in case none of the troubleshooting methods have helped your cause, you can use the Roku app to temporarily control your Roku TV.
1. Install Roku mobile app on your Android from the Play Store or on the iOS device from App Store.
2. Connect your Roku device and Android or iOS device to the same Wi-Fi network.
3. Sign in using your Roku account.
4. From the home screen, select the Devices tab on the bottom right corner of the screen.
5. Choose your Roku device from the available devices and click on OK.
6. Next, select the Remote tab, and you will get the remote interface. You can now easily control your Roku device using the app.
Frequently Asked Questions
Below are some of the reasons that cause the Roku remote to not work and they are:
1. Blocking the status light of your Roku remote.
2. Low batteries on your Roku remote.
3. Pairing of your Remote with the Roku device got disconnected.
4. Problems with the Wi-Fi connection.
Yes, you can use Roku mobile app to control your Roku device.