Like all streaming devices, error codes also do appear on your Roku device. One of the most common error codes is 005, which appears during the initial setup of your Roku device. However, you can easily fix the Roku error code 005 by following the common troubleshooting methods mentioned here.
Why the Roku Error Code 005 Occurs
Below are the common reasons for the Roku error code 005.
- Weak internet connection
- The cables on your Roku device may not be connected properly.
- Wrong DNS configuration that leads to connectivity issues.
How to Fix Roku Error Code 005
The following troubleshooting methods will help you fix the Roku Error code 005:
Solution – 1 Check the Internet Connection
When you find the Roku error code 005, the foremost thing you need to do is to check the internet connection on your Roku device. Follow the below steps to check the connection.
1. Press the Home button on your Roku remote.
2. Scroll down and select the Settings option.
3. On the sub-menu, click Network.
4. Next, tap the Check connection option.
5. Now, you can find the status of your connection.
Tip: If your internet connection is the problem, move to Solutions 2 and 3, or else go to Solution 4.
Solution – 2 Restart your Router or Modem
If you find any issues with your internet connection, it is necessary to restart your modem or router. Unplug all the cables from your router and wait for some time. After a few seconds, plug the cables again into your router and turn it on. After connecting to the internet on Roku, check if you can still see the Roku error code 005.
Solution – 3 Reset Network Settings on Roku
In case restarting your router can’t fix the error code, you need to try resetting your network settings.
1. Navigate to Settings on your Roku device.
2. Select System under Settings.
3. Next, click the Advanced System Settings option.
4. Tap Network Connection Reset and click Reset Connection.
5. Now, the network settings on Roku will reset.
After that, you need to gain connect your Roku to wifi.
Solution – 4 Restart Roku
In case your internet connection is not the problem, you need to restart your Roku to remove the temporary bugs.
1. First, click the Home button on your Roku remote.
2. Select the Settings option from the main menu.
3. Scroll down and click System.
4. Under System, choose System restart.
5. Tap Restart again to confirm the process.
After the reset process, check if the error on your Roku is cleared or not.
Solution – 5 Reset Roku to Factory Default Settings
If the error code doesn’t disappear after resetting the network connection, you can factory reset Roku.
1. Head to the Settings section on your Roku device.
2. Select System and click Advanced System Settings.
3. Scroll down and click the Factory Reset option.
4. Now, enter the PIN displayed on your TV screen and hit the OK button.
5. Hit Start Factory Reset to set your Roku device to factory defaults.
After trying all of the above fixes, if the error code 005 appears, you can contact Roku support and explain the issue. They will be able to help you to fix the error code on your Roku device.