Plex is a free streaming service and also a client-server media player platform that is available worldwide. You can stream more than 50000+ on-demand titles and over 250 live TV channels from all over the world. You can also stream movies, TV shows, photos, music, and more from your PC or Smartphone to your Roku device using the Plex Media Server. Moreover, you can easily get the services of Plex on Roku by installing the app from the Channel Store.
Features of Plex
- Stream thousands of movies and TV shows, from Oscar-winning movies to anime, documentaries, and more.
- Stream content from categories like Action, Comedy, Fantasy, War, Horror, Mystery, and more.
- You can access channels like Lionsgate, A&E, CBS, CNN, Comedy Central, Food Network, and more.
- You can stream Plex with your friends and family from across the globe.
- Enjoy streaming kids’ shows, news, sports, and more from anywhere and anytime.
Is Plex Free on Roku
Yes, Plex is available on Roku. It is compatible with Roku 1 (model 2710), Roku 2 (models 2720, 4210), Roku 3 (models 4200, 4230), Roku 4 (model 4400), Roku Premiere (model 4620), Roku Premiere (model 4630), Roku Express (model 3700), Roku Express+ (model 3710), Roku Stick (models 3500, 3600), Roku Ultra (model 4640), Roku TV, and Roku 4K UHD TV.
Note: You can access the Plex app for free with ads. However, you can disable the ads with the premium subscription.
Subscription Price of Plex
Although you can stream a lot of content on Plex for free. If you want to stream ad-free content along with other features, you need to subscribe to Plex Pass. The Plans available on Plex Pass are:
- Monthly Plex Pass – $4.99 per month
- Annual Plex Pass – $39.99 per year
- Lifetime Plex Pass – $119.99
How to Create a Plex Account
1. From your Smartphone or PC, go to the browser.
2. Visit the official website of Plex.
3. Click Sign Up on the top left side of the screen.
4. On the Create your free account window, enter your Email address and Password and select Create an Account, or you can try logging in with your Google, Facebook, or Apple account.
5. Your account will be created, and you will be taken to the Plex home page.
Note: If you are OK with the free version, there is no need to follow the steps below.
6. Click on the Go Premium button.
7. Next, follow the on-screen prompts to subscribe to Plex.
How to Download Plex on Roku
1. Switch on your Roku device and press the Home button on your Roku remote.
2. On the Roku home screen, select the Streaming Channels option.
3. Click on Search Channels and enter Plex on the search bar using the on-screen keyboard.
4. Choose Plex from the search results and click on Add Channel.
5. Select OK once the channel is added.
Alternative Method – Adding the Plex Channel Using Roku Website
1. Turn on your PC and launch a web browser.
2. Next, go to the official website of the Roku Channel Store.
3. Click on Sign in. Type your Roku Email address and Password and select Submit.
4. Once you have logged in to your account, click on the Search channels bar on the home screen.
5. Enter Plex on the search bar and choose the channel from the results.
6. Select Add Channel, and the channel will be added on Roku.
Note: It will take a maximum of 24 hours for the app to be available on Roku. If you want the channel to be available on Roku right now, you need to update your Roku device.
How to Activate and Use Plex on Roku
1. Launch Plex on your Roku device.
2. Click the Sign In button and note the activation code displayed on the screen.
3. Next, from your smartphone or PC browser, visit https://www.plex.tv/link/.
4. Sign in or create a Plex account.
5. After that, enter the activation code displayed on the screen and hit the Link button.
5. You have now linked the Plex account with your Roku device.
6. Go back to the Plex app and stream your favorites.
How to Solve if the Plex is Not Working on Roku
There are many methods that you can use to solve the Plex not working issue. The methods are:
1. If the Plex app you are using has too much cache data stored in it, it will cause the app to not work properly. Clear all the cache data and check whether Plex is working properly.
2. Uninstall the Plex app and wait for a couple of minutes. Then, reinstall the app on Roku and check if the problem is solved.
3. If the internet connection is too slow, it can cause the app to not work properly. Restart your router or bring your Roku device close to the router and check if the problem is solved.
4. Check whether there are any problems with the Plex server. If there are problems with the server, then all you can do is wait until the authorities fix the server issue.
With these troubleshooting methods, you can easily fix the issues with the Plex app. Then, you can return back to streaming your favorites on the big screen.