Create Roku PIN: Visit Roku website → Sign In → My Account → PIN Preference → Update → Enter Roku PIN → Save Changes
Enable Parental Control: Go to Settings → Parental Controls → Enter Roku PIN
Parental Control Time Limit: Settings → System → Timer → Sleep Timer
Parental Controls on devices help you with preventing your kids from accessing inappropriate content. Apart from that, you can set limits on screen time and prevent them from purchasing something on your device. When it comes to Roku, the Parental Control features might be a little limited as it does not interfere with third-party applications like Netflix and Prime Video. Still, the Parental Control features can be of great help to you in different extends.
How to Set Up Parental Controls on Roku
To set up the Parental Controls on Roku, you need a Roku PIN. After that, you can enable the Parental Controls option to protect your kids from watching inappropriate content.
Create a Roku PIN
1. Open a browser on your computer or your smartphone and go to the official website of Roku.
2. Also, sign in to your Roku account by entering the proper credentials in the provided field.
3. In the PIN Preference section, select the Update button.
4. Next, select the Always require a PIN to make a purchase and add items from the Channel Store option.
5. In the next screen, enter the four-digit PIN and then re-enter it in the Verify PIN section.
6. You also have the option to block the inappropriate content that streams on the Roku Channel. To block those content from the Roku Channel, scroll down to Parental Controls for The Roku Channel. Then, select any of the following options.
- Little Kids: You can only watch contents that are rated U without entering a 4-digit PIN.
- Young Kids: You can access content rated U and PG without a PIN.
- Teens: You can watch any content on the app that isn’t rated 18.
- Off: You can also turn off the category by selecting the Off option, which will let anyone access The Roku Channel only with a 4-digit PIN.
7. After that, select the Save Changes button.
Finally, you have set up the Parental Controls for your Roku streaming devices.
Enabling Parental Controls on Roku TV
If you have a Roku TV with you, restrict TV shows and movies based on their rating with its Parental Control features.
1. Get to the Roku home screen by simply pressing the Home button on your remote.
2. Make sure to connect Roku to wifi.
3. From the home screen, open the Settings menu.
4. Scroll to and select the Parental Controls option.
5. Next, enter your Roku PIN and then select the OK button.
6. Further, set the desired movie or TV rating limits.
7. You can also select to block unrated programs.
The different options you can see on your screen are listed below:
- TV ratings: You can limit content using ratings like Y, Y7, G, PG, and more.
- Canadian English Ratings: You can limit Canadian English Channels using ratings like C, C8, and more.
- Canadian French Ratings: You can set limits to Canadian French channels using this option.
- Block All Unrated Programs: You can disable all channels that have no ratings using this option.
How to Set Roku TV Parental Control Time Limit
You can set a sleep timer on Roku if you wish to reduce the screen time of your children as follows.
1. Go to the Roku home screen by pressing the home button.
2. After opening the Settings menu, select the System option.
3. From the menu, select the Time option and then the Sleep Timer option.
4. Further select a time interval like 30 minutes, 1 hour, 1.5 hours, 2 hours, or 3 hours.
Hide Movies and TV Store on Roku
To prevent your children from accessing the Roku Channel Store, you can hide it from the settings as follows:
1. Press the Home button on your remote to get the Roku home screen.
2. Go to Settings and select the Home Screen option.
3. Next, select the Movie Store and TV Store option.
4. On the next menu, select the Hide option to hide the Channel Store.
You can make use of either of the above-mentioned methods to prevent your kids from accessing the Channel Store or any inappropriate content from the device. Roku itself has a lot of content that your children would enjoy watching that is both entertaining as well as educating.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, you can turn off the Parental Control feature on Roku.
To reset the Parental Controls on Roku TV, go to Settings > Parental Controls > Reset Parental Controls. Enter the Roku PIN if required and reset the Parental Control feature on your Roku.