Roku is a highly regarded video streaming device that has an unbounded library of outstanding channels. You can get the best out of entertainment with the Roku device as it is not deficient in your channels. Some of your favorite channels that you can find on the Roku Channel Store are Netflix, Peacock TV, YouTube TV, and more. To make accessing Roku easier, it comes with a well-designed remote. It will help you play any content on Roku as well as access basic settings. But you will be required to pair your remote to Roku so that you can control your Roku TV.
How to Pair Roku Remote
When we say Roku remote, it might be a simple remote or an enhanced remote. These 2 remotes are different from each other as they adopt different measures to connect with the Roku device. For instance, the simple remote uses infrared light, while the voice remote makes use of wifi. For the same reason, pairing these remotes with the TV is different as well.
Note: You can identify whether your remote is simple or enhanced from the following measures.
The enhanced has a:
- Microphone button
- Headphone Jack
- Pairing button inside the battery compartment
The Simple Roku remote doesn’t have any of the features mentioned above.
How to Pair a Simple Roku Remote
A simple Roku Remote doesn’t need an additional pairing with your device. This is because it makes use of infrared light to connect with the Roku receiver. If the remote is not working, it might be because of obstructions between the remote and the receiver. So, clear the obstruction in front of the receiver on your device. You might also be out of the range where the remote can connect with the TV. Moreover, the simple Roku remote is compatible only with Roku streaming stick models like Roku Streaming Stick + and Roku Streaming Stick 4K.
How to Pair a Roku Voice Remote
As discussed before, an enhanced remote makes use of the wifi feature to connect with your device. The enhanced remote can also be called a voice Roku remote. You can pair it as follows.
1. Open the Roku remote battery compartment and insert the batteries.
2. Unplug the Roku device from the power source for up to a minute, and then plug it back.
3. Wait for the Roku device to turn on.
4. In the battery compartment, you can see the Roku Pairing Button.
5. Press the pairing button for 3 to 5 seconds.
6. Soon, the Roku remote will pair with your device.
If you’re going to pair a new remote to Roku, the following steps will help you.
1. From the Roku home screen, open the Settings menu.
2. Select the Remotes and Devices option from the menu.
3. Scroll to and then select be Set up a New Device option.
4. Next, select Continue.
5. Press the Pairing Button of your remote till the status light on it flashes green.
6. This will pair the remote with your TV and follow the instructions on your screen to check if it’s working.
Alternative Method to Control your Roku TV
Another remote option for Roku is the official remote application that you can find in both the Google Play Store as well as the App Store. This app has a bunch of different functions, including support for a virtual remote. You can set up this remote and use it to access control over your Roku device.
Note: You need to connect Android or iOS devices and Roku to the same wifi network before moving on to the steps below.
1. Start by installing the Roku remote app on your Android or iOS devices from the Google Play Store or the App Store.
2. Open the Roku app after installing it.
3. Follow the instructions on your screen to agree to the terms. Next, sign in with your Roku account.
4. Tap the Devices icon from the bottom of the screen and then choose your Roku device.
5. Next, select the Remote icon in the app interface.
6. This will bring the remote interface to your application which you can use to control your TV.
Frequently Asked Questions
If you don’t have the pairing button, you can connect to your TV using the Settings menu > Remotes and Devices > Pair New Device.
If the remote is not pairing, restart your Roku. After restarting the Roku device, you can try pairing the remote.