HBO Max is the streaming service you need to watch your favorite movies and TV shows. Recently, HBO Max extended its support for Roku. That means you can stream your favorites from HBO Max on Roku easily. But like other streaming services on Roku, HBO Max is also not working sometimes due to various reasons. If you are also one of those who face this issue, chill out. We are here with the possible fixes that you could try while the HBO Max app is not working on Roku.
Why is HBO Max Not Working on Roku
There could be many reasons for HBO Max on Roku, so below, we have mentioned some of the major reasons for the HBO Max not working.
1. Weak internet connection.
2. HBO Max server is down.
3. Outdated version of Roku and HBO Max.
4. No active subscription to HBO Max.
5. Not using HBO Max on a compatible device.
10 Fixes to Resolve the HBO Max Not Working on Roku Issue
The following are some of the working methods to fix the HBO Max not working issue on Roku.
1. Check the Internet Connection
The primary fix you need to do when an app is not working is to check the internet connection. Follow the below steps to check the connection,
1. Navigate to the Roku home screen by pressing the Home button on your remote.
2. Go to Settings and click the Network option.
3. Tap Check Connection to check the connection of your network.
If the problem is with your internet connection, follow the second method or else jump to the third method.
2. Restart Roku and Router
If you find that you have a weak internet connection, you need to restart both your router and Roku.
To restart the Router: Plug out the power supply of your Router and wait for 5 to 10 minutes. Then, reconnect your router to the power supply and turn it on.
To Restart Roku: Go to Settings > System > System Restart > Restart.
After you have done restarting both your Router and Roku, check if the issues on the HBO Max app arise again.
3. Update Roku
The outdated version of Roku will also make the HBO Max app not work. So make sure you are using the latest version of Roku or follow the below steps to update Roku.
1. Turn on Roku and press the Home button on the remote.
2. Scroll down and select Settings from the home screen.
3. Navigate to System and click the System Update option.
4. Select the Check Now button.
5. Next, select the Update Now option to update Roku to the latest version.
4. Check Device Compatibility
Make sure you are using the Roku OS 9.3 or later, as HBO Max can be streamed on only these devices. If you are using older models of Roku, you need to upgrade your Roku device to watch HBO Max.
5. Stop Using a VPN
HBO Max is accessible only inside the US. Also, HBO Max doesn’t support streaming using the VPN. So, disable the VPN if connected to any to fix the HBO Max not working issue.
6. Check the HBO Max Server
There are also chances where the servers of the HBO Max are down and that’s why you can’t stream on the HBO max platform. You can use the Downdetector site to check if the server is up or down. If the server is down, you cannot do anything than waiting till the issue gets sorted out.
7. Uninstall and Reinstall the HBO Max App
If the HBO Max servers are not the problem, the problem might be in the HBO Max. So, try uninstalling the app and reinstalling it again to check if the problem is fixed.
To uninstall HBO Max: Go to Roku home screen > Press Right Arrow button on remote > Select HBO Max > Press the Asterisk (*) button on remote > Remove Channel.
To Install HBO Max: Go to Roku home > Streaming Channels > Search Channels > Search HBO Max > Select HBO Max > Add Channel >
8. Clear the Cache of HBO Max
The cache build-up might be the reason why the content is loading slowly on the HBO Max app. So, try clearing the cache on HBO Max to fix the loading issue. To clear the cache on the HBO Max app, you need to uninstall and reinstall the HBO Max app. Alternatively, you can clear cache on Roku to remove all the cache and data stored on Roku.
9. Log Out and Re Log In to HBO Max
1. Open a web browser and go to the official website HBO Max.
2. Login with your HBO Max account details.
3. Tap your Profile icon.
4. Next, choose the Manage Device option.
5. Select your Roku device from the list and click Sign Out.
6. After that, restart your Roku device and launch the HBO Max app.
7. Sign in to your account and start to stream your favorites.
10. Reset Roku
If the issues with the HBO Max app are not yet solved, as a last resort, you can reset Roku. You must note that this will delete all the data stored on your Roku device. Also, you will be required to set up Roku once again and reinstall the HBO Max app.
1. Soft Reset: Go to Settings >> System >> Advanced System Settings >> Factory reset to soft reset Roku.
2. Hard Reset: Press and hold the Reset button found on the back side of your Roku device for 20 seconds and release the button when the power light blinks.
Frequently Asked Questions
Make sure that you didn’t mute your Roku. Also, try increasing the volume using your remote. If the issue is not yet fixed, try restarting Roku.
The subtitles will not appear by default while streaming. To turn on the subtitles, play a movie or TV show, and tap on the CC icon.