Nowadays, with the development of the internet, you can almost do everything with the help of the internet. If you are using Roku, the internet becomes a necessity, as, without it, you can’t do anything on your Roku device. You can stream movies, TV shows, live TV channels, Sports, and a lot more by adding channels on Roku. You can watch streaming services like Netflix, Hulu, and a lot more of these kinds of channels on Roku. To gain access to these channels, you need to connect your Roku to a Wifi network.
How to Connect Roku to Wifi
Below are the steps that you can use to connect it to Wifi:
Connect Roku to Wifi During Set-Up
If you’re going to set up your Roku device on TV for the first time, the following steps will help you with settings up the wifi network.
1. Setup your Roku Streaming Stick, Roku Player, and Roku TV.
Note: When using Roku Player or Roku Streaming Stick, connect it to the HDMI port to set up.
2. Turn on your Roku device.
Note: If you are using Roku Player or Roku Streaming Stick, you need to select the input source (HDMI port) you are connected to.
3. On the Let’s get started screen, select the Language you want.
4. On the Network screen, select Set up connection.
5. Click on Wireless and choose your network from the available networks.
Note: If you are using a wired connection, select Wired, and your Roku device will automatically connect to your home network.
6. On the Wireless screen, enter the Password using the on-screen keyboard.
7. Select Connect and press Ok. Now you have connected your device to the internet.
Changing Wifi Network on Roku
If you want to change the wifi network on Roku, you can follow the steps below:
1. Turn on your Roku device and press the Home button on the Roku remote.
2. Select Settings on the home screen and click on the Network option.
3. Click on Set up connection and select Wired or Wireless, depending on what network connection you want.
4. If you have selected Wireless, then choose your network from the available networks.
Note: If you can’t find your network, then select Scan again to see all networks. Roku will scan all the available networks within its coverage and displays them on the screen.
5. Enter the Password for that network and click on Connect.
6. Select OK. Your device will be connected to the internet.
7. If you have selected Wired, your Roku device will automatically connect to the internet.
How to Connect Roku to Wifi Without a Remote
You need a remote to connect Roku to a Wifi network the first time. After that, if you want to change to a new Wifi network, you can do it without a remote via the Roku app.
Connect your Android or iOS device and Roku to the same wifi network and follow the steps below:
1. On your Android or iOS device, go to Play Store or App Store.
2. Search for Roku’s official remote app.
3. Choose the app from the search results.
5. Once the installation is done, launch the Roku remote app.
6. Sign in using your Roku account.
6. Select Devices on the bottom right corner of the home screen.
7. Choose your Roku device from the available devices and select OK.
8. You have now successfully paired with the remote.
Note: To pair your smartphone and Roku, you need to make sure that both devices are connected to the same Wifi network.
9. Tap on the Remote tab, and you will see a remote appearing on your device.
10. Use the on-screen directional buttons and navigate to Settings.
11. Click on Network and select Set up connection.
12. Choose Wireless and select your network from the available options.
13. Enter the Password to connect to the network and click on Connect.
14. Select OK, and the connection will be established.
15. You have now changed your Wi-Fi connection to a new one.
Note: Once you change your connection to a new one, you won’t be able to control Roku using the app because of a different Wifi network.
How to Connect Roku to Wifi When Staying In a Hotel or Dorm
If you are staying in a hotel or at a dormitory and you have a Roku streaming stick or box with you, you can connect it to the TV and watch the content. To do this, use the steps below:
1. First, check whether the TV supports HDMI.
2. Then check whether there is a Wifi connection at your location.
3. Now, get the Wifi password.
4. Connect your Roku device to the HDMI port and power source.
5. Turn on your TV and press the Home button on your Roku remote.
6. Go to Settings > Network > Set Up Connection > Wireless.
7. Select the network you are going to use.
8. On the Network Connection help window that appears, select I am at a hotel or college dorm.
9. Follow the on-screen instructions and enter the necessary details when required.
10. Once the network connection is a success, enjoy streaming content on the TV.
How to Troubleshoot if Roku Won’t Connect to Wifi
There are many reasons why Roku is not connecting to the network. Here are some of the common network connection troubleshooting methods you can use to solve the problem.
1. If you have entered the password wrongly, it will cause the connection to fail. Make sure that you have entered the password correctly and know that network passwords are case-sensitive.
2. If your router is not working properly, it will cause the connection to fail. Restart the router and check if the problem is over.
3. If you are too far away from the router, that means the signal strength you are getting is low; it can cause the connection to fail. So try settings up your device close to the router and check whether the problem is solved.
4. Sometimes, the Roku device you are using may be the problem; try restarting your Roku device and check whether you can connect to the network properly.
5. If you find that connecting to the network is quite difficult, then try using an Ethernet cable. It provides a faster and more reliable connection.
Frequently Asked Questions
On your Smartphone, go to the notification section and turn on your hotspot. on Roku, select Settings > Network > Set up connection > Wireless > your phone wifi hotspot > Password for the wifi hotspot > Connect > OK. You have now connected Roku to a Wi-Fi network.
Yes, you can change the Wifi connection on Roku without using the Remote.